Homeless Prevention

Our services provide assistance to families and individuals who face threats to financial stability. In many cases, Upward Transitions can provide a short-term financial bridge in the form of emergency assistance and access to community resources to maintain stability. Eligible families may work with case managers on a long-term basis to increase and develop skills that can provide a sustainable income. Case managers work closely with these families to create a plan with goals that address specific needs and create the means to avoid future homelessness.

When funding is available, we take calls for rent assistance and utility assistance on Monday mornings at 8 a.m., except weeks with a holiday. The number of calls accepted varies with the available funding. Please keep in mind that we receive hundreds of calls each week, and the phone lines do stay busy most of Monday morning.

This is a one time service and clients must meet the following criteria to to be considered for assistance. 

  • Live in OK County
  • Hold a current eviction or cut off notice in client’s name
  • Provide verifiable income
  • Have minor children in the home or be 55 or older
  • Show proof of a hardship

Homeless Services

Individuals who are homeless and working to regain their independence can turn to Upward Transitions for help. Our services provide the following forms of assistance:

  • Legal document retrieval assistance for clients who are homeless (birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc.) – Walk-in for assistance Monday – Friday 8 a.m.-11 a.m.
  • State ID purchase assistance for clients who are homeless – Walk-in for assistance Monday – Friday 8 a.m.-11 a.m.
  • Utility and public housing rent deposits (Call to confirm that funds are available.)
  • Linkage to other services

One of the following forms of written verification of homelessness and referral is required for any individual seeking homeless services.

  • If residing in shelter, a referral letter from the shelter verifying shelter stay is required.
  • If living on the streets or in a abandoned building, a referral letter from an agency, day shelter, or church verifying homeless status is required.
  • If residing in a transitional housing program, a referral letter from the program verifying program participation is required.
  • If residing with others temporarily (1-2 months not paying rent), a notarized letter from the person providing shelter. The letter should provide the name and contact information for the individual and state how long the individual seeking assistance has been living there and if the individual is paying rent or not.

Anyone seeking services is encouraged to call in advance to ensure Upward Transitions is accepting clients for specific programs. No assistance will be provided or guaranteed over the phone based on a referral from another agency.